Greater Grassmarket BID Ltd is looking for a Project Manager to take the Greater Grassmarket activities forward from Winter 2015.
Salary: 3-5 days £15,000 - £25,000
To read the Job Ad on the Greater Grassmarket BID website, click here.
Job Overview: To provide day-to-day management and leadership of Greater Grassmarket BID Ltd, working in association with the Board of Directors and third party partners. Working closely with all stakeholders, the Project Manager will ensure the delivery of the BID Business Plan in a cost-effective, professional and transparent manner.
The Greater Grassmarket Business Improvement District is a five-year project (February 2013 - 2018) where all businesses within the defined area come together to invest collectively to benefit business and local economy growth through local improvements, activities and business support in addition to those delivered by City of Edinburgh Council and Scottish Government.
Greater Grassmarket's Objectives
· To create a sense of place
· To create a cleaner, greener, more attractive environment
· To raise the profile and improve the perception of the area
· To improve accessibility to the area
· To help businesses make cost savings
· To attract more footfall to the area and increase customer spend
· To reduce antisocial behaviour
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and self-motivated Manager to lead our team and influence the future development of our historic city centre location. This role will rely on the successful applicant working on their own initiative and leading a small part-time team of Marketing Officer and Event Operations Manager. The position will report to the Chair of the Board of Directors on a weekly basis and work with the board to achieve strategic objectives set by the board and based on the 2013-2018 Business Plan.
This is a part/full time public-facing role with great scope and responsibility. Although the day to day tasks are varied, we have outlined the principle duties below:
· Acting as the main point of contact for all operational matters relating to the BID area
· Develop effective working relationships with the private, public, third sector, press, media and interest groups to deliver the Business Plan objectives
· Working with board members to develop Strategic Objectives and Operational Objectives for six month periods based on the aims of the 2013-2018 Business Plan, and implementing, managing and monitoring these objectives
· Act as a first point of contact for levy payers, including providing individual business support to up to 230 businesses within the Greater Grassmarket BID area
· Managing the agenda, regular reporting and actions of the BID Board of Directors meetings.
· Working with the Executive Members (Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary) on the BID Board of Directors to manage and report to the board as appropriate on HR, financial and contractual matters, ensuring that the company’s procedures and protocols are documented and updated on a regular basis.
· Working with City of Edinburgh Council to monitor compliance with the Operating Agreement, particularly in relation to the collection of the annual levy.
· Working with the Treasurer and accountancy support to prepare and manage the annual budget and accounts.
· Measuring and reporting on Key Performance Indicators set out by the BID board
· Maintaining and further developing a positive climate within which local and national business stakeholders will ultimately endorse the continuation of the BID after its initial 5 year period (2018).
· Working with the Events Operations Manager to secure a year-round calendar of small-scale events and to increase direct or in-kind investment to the area to develop large-scale events for key dates
· Working with the Marketing Officer to utilise the BID website, social media and developing a positive relationship with all media to communicate the BID’s projects and successes to the general public, and to ensure that both the company and the Greater Grassmarket area are promoted positively and that their reputation is maintained to the highest quality.
· Working with the Marketing Officer to ensure that all levy payers and residents are communicated with on a monthly basis surrounding relevant updates and projects
· Working with the Executive members of the Board to ensure the proposer and effective operation and development of the company in accordance with the Memorandum and Articles of Association
· Working with board members on specific projects to seek and secure further funding through a variety of sources including private sector involvement and voluntary contributions.
· To work in partnership to develop and implement projects and activities relating to the area as agreed with appropriate public agencies and bodies and react as appropriate to concerns and issues that may impact negatively local businesses and the town centre
· To cultivate a good relationship with representatives of local residents through involvement and consultation
The successful candidate will:
· Have a good business management record
· Have a track record of managing budgets
· Have a courteous and outgoing manner
· Have experience in negotiating and commercial awareness
· Long term experience in a relevant position
· Proven track record in project management, including evidence of good governance
· Proven ability to deliver projects to plan and under pressure
· Proven ability to manage complex budgets
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent influencing skills to build strong partnerships and deliver the Business Plan
· Passion to help others, desire to improve the business environment for the levy-payers
· Highly organised, able to manage multiple projects and a self starter
· Confidence dealing with the press and public speaking
· Educated to degree or equivalent gained from working in relevant fields
· Ability to effectively present a business case to key stakeholders for recommending change and improvement
· Knowledge and passion for Greater Grassmarket area
· Previous line management experience
· Previous experience in public/private partnerships sectors
· Knowledge and Involvement with BIDs
· Project Management qualification
· An awareness and understanding of key Scottish Government and Local Authority economic development policy and strategic priorities as they pertain to town and city centres
· Be able to travel independently or access reliable transport in order to carry out the travelling requirements of the post
The Greater Grassmarket BID board recognise that this role has varied and complex requirements, and therefore are inviting candidates to offer proposals to the board as to how they see themselves fulfilling the objectives. The objectives may be filled entirely by the applicant, or by splitting the budget between the applicant and those who can provide services in the skills areas the applicant required support on.
The PAYE salary will range from £15,000 - £25,000 for between 3-5 days per week and the chosen candidates proposal will be the basis for their terms and employment contract.
Close date: Thursday 1st October at 12noon
Contract start: To be negotiated with the successful applicant. Approximately Tuesday 27th October 2015
The role is based at the BID Company offices in Greater Grassmarket and reports to the Chairman of the Greater Grassmarket BID Board of Directors. The role holder will be accountable to Greater Grassmarket BID’s Board of Directors.
Please send a completed CV and proposal of how you would undertake this role firstname.lastname@example.org by 12noon on Thursday 1st October.
- Downloadable Information Pack - here
- Organisational Hierarchy and Strategic Objectives Overview - here
- BID Business Plan - here